Thursday, October 29, 2015

Analyzing Context

Analyzing Context 
In order for a writer to craft a work that speaks to readers it is necessary to determine the appropriate context of the subject. Below is my analyzation of the context of my writing on genetic engineering.
Live Life Happy. "The purpose of an argument, should not be victory, but progress." 4/15/12 via flickr. Creative Commons Attribution.
  • Key perspectives/schools of thought on genetic engineering? 
    • Those in favor of genetic engineering believe that it will further science and allow doctors to make drastic innovations in the world of medicine while enabling parents to procreate with the confidence that their children will be health in terms of their genes. 
    • Those against genetic engineering believe that it is not natural, pointing specifically to mother nature choosing the genes which are favorable for people to inherit. Additionally, those against genetic engineering believe that the system will be taken advantage of and not used in the appropriate ways it was meant to be used for. 
  • Points of Contention:
    • One major point of contention in the genetic engineering argument is in terms of genetics and is that those in favor of it believe that the possibility will allow parents to ensure that their offspring inherit genes that are the most healthy rather than passing on their own genes if they could lead to complications. Others counter this argument by saying that the system will be taken advantage of and just used to create designer babies. 
  • Common Ground:
    • Both sides of the argument agree on the fact that genetic engineering could drastically advance the science community, as already seen in genetic screening. 
  • Idealogical Differences:
    • As stated above, many of those against genetic engineering believe that it goes against mother nature in manipulating one's gene sequence. Contrary to that, it can be seen that humans have been implementing gene manipulation for thousands of years. 
  • Specific Actions:
    • People in favor of genetic engineering ask people to believe in a world in which the majority of society will not take for granted a system of genetic engineering and instead use if for appropriate reasons such as ensuring good health and for the name of science. Those against genetic engineering request that people look at past food mishaps with various GMOs and focus on the fact that people are made the way they are for a reason. 
  • Useful perspectives for my argument: 
    • The abilities which genetic engineering would give science. 
    • Humans have been using genetic engineering for a very long time. 
    • Progress has been made and will continue to be made in the way of creating  safe and effective way of genetically modifying offspring. 
    • I think the above perspectives are the most beneficial and sound for my argument in genetic engineering and for helping me convey to readers what is so important about legalizing it. 
  • Greatest threats:
    • I think greatest threats will be that society could take advantage of genetic engineering and not use it in the correct ways. I also think that my argument could be countered with the fact that it is not advanced enough and humans should just live with what they are born with naturally
Reflection:
   I read Olivia's blog post and Joy's blog post pertaining to analyzing context. After reading Olivia's blog post I really got a better perspective on the debate about artificial sweeteners and I could understand her side more. I think it made me realize that I need to bolster my argument to make it more sound proof. After reading Joy's blog post I was able to understand the importance of finding what your counterarguments regarding the topic you are writing about. Together I realized that I might need to work on developing my topic more before I begin crafting my argument about genetic engineering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment