Saturday, September 19, 2015

Reflection on Project 1 Draft

Reflection on Project 1 Draft
Revision is a key part of the writing process and instrumental in ensuring that a writer ends with his or her best draft. By having peers read your drafts they sometimes can spot things which you as the writer can't. This helps to make your writing even better by having many different perspectives. Below is a review of how I think the first draft of my GRQ went. 

I read and added comments on Joy's QRG as well as Bailey's QRG . Each were very different and each had individual aspects which worked really well and then others that could potentially be reworked if they wanted to rework them. 


McPhee, Nic. "(Editing a Paper)-31" 1/26/08 via flickr. Creative Commons.

  • Audience:
    • The readers of this document will probably be peers in my class who haven't heard of this controversy and potentially people on the internet interested in the TMT telescope controversy. For this reason I tried to make my document provide the groundwork for understanding the controversy as well as having specifics to help expand reader's knowledge of the specific subject
    • I think that the readers' expectations are to learn more about this topic and understand the logistics behind it all. With working hyperlinks and descriptive information I think that I attempt to meet this expectation although I think that I could work on providing a few more working hyperlinks to increase credibility as well as opportunities for readers' to further expand their knowledge on the subject. 
    • To be completely honest I am still trying to determine how much information I need to give my audience. Some QRG's I have read are much longer than some others and I am trying to determine what the appropriate length is for my document on this specific topic. That being said, I think that as I revise I am going to try to work on determining if I should add more information to make the document longer or not 
    • Language suitable for this audience is scholarly language but not over the top with wordy and confusing language. Due to the fact that the main audience of this document will be peers and potentially a few older people we are mostly all of the same verse and there is no need for confusing wording that you have to read multiple times in order to understand. 
    • The tone that I should use in this essay is one that favors neither side of the controversy. I think this is important because this is an informative piece and in order to maintain being able to explain to my audience what this controversy is about it's important to not put my own beliefs into this document but rather just convey both sides equally. 
  • Context: 
    • The formatting requirements in this document are to have visual aids to help display the controversy at hand as well as having much white space to give the reader a break from all the text. By also having short and direct paragraphs it helps ensure that the readers don't get overwhelmed. I think I do this appropriately in my document but I am thinking about adding a few more visual aids throughout. 
    • Content requirements for the assignment are to inform readers of the controversy which one is covering while providing credible sources from which the writer took his or her information from. I think that in my document I give a pretty direct basis of what the controversy is about but as I continue working on revising I am going to work on providing some more specifics for my audience. 
    • I believe that my draft reflects both knowledge from class as well as my own ideas and voice. Class discussions really taught me the correct way to analyze controversy as well as how to organize a QRG and by putting my ideas and the information from my various sources I think that I effectively used both class as well as individual knowledge. 
    • Comments on my draft brought to my attention by peer reviewers have been fixed but as I continue to review and manipulate my first draft I will ensure that I keep an eye out for these grammatical issues that could rise up. Additionally I plan to keep in mind past issues I have had with grammatical issues in order to ensure that I can try to avoid them in this document. 

No comments:

Post a Comment