Thursday, September 3, 2015

My Writing Process

My Writing Process 

xXFoxxy-SilverFangXx. "Procrastination" 1/27/12 via DeviantArt. Some rights reserved.

Self discovery is an ongoing process for many people and oftentimes even the seemingly least important aspects of life aide a person in finding him or herself. One of the the less dramatized discoveries is that of one's writing process. Upon reading excerpts from Dr. Lisa Ede's book Work in Progress: A Guide to Writing and Revising I was able to recognize what type of writer I am and the following is my analyzation of this realization.  
Thinking back to high school (heavy sigh) and my days of constructing the classic "five paragraph essay", that seemed to be all the rage, I have labeled myself as a somewhat procrastinating heavy reviser type of writer. I often find other things to eat up my time in order to put off the inevitable act of doing homework. I would usually get away with doing little planning prior to the first draft due date and scrap together enough feasible matter to get a grade. The vast majority of my quality and worth reading material would be done post submission of original rough draft and during the first, second or third revision. 

In retrospect, the massive amount of stress and anxiety which my writing style caused me over the years was not worth the procrastination. Although looking at my transcripts a stranger might never believe my thoughts on it, but I am fairly positive that a more heavy planning would do me well. Dwelling on the fact that I knew I had to write a paper but was trying to avoid it made everything worse and only wasted my time. While the long drawn out revision process was effective in improving my original draft I believe that a more solid first rough draft would make the rest of the process much easier. 

In the upcoming months I hope to attempt to be a more heavy planner in effort to attempt to formulate solid ideas which I can back up easily with credible sources.  I believe that this would not only decrease the high stress levels I find myself in near due dates but also help me become a better writer overall. 

Self discovery is important. Writing discovery is important. So, how can you discover your writing process?

*Reflection:
I read both Mathilda's and Grace's "My Writing Process" Blogs. Both were insightful on the writing process and really made me think about my writing process as a whole.

Mathilda's blog brought my attention to the idea of becoming a writer who capitalizes on all the writing styles, excluding procrastination. I hadn't really thought about it this way but the idea of using your best ideas in your first draft and then improving upon those in subsequent drafts is a very good idea. I think by developing a writing style in this fashion a person might be able to capitalize on all their best writing abilities and create a writing better than previously. I really liked this perspective of working all ways of the writing style and I hope that in the upcoming weeks I am able to try to try out them all in order to improve my writing quality.

Grace's blog was extremely relatable to me because of the fact that she also considers herself to be a heavy reviser. I found comfort in the fact that there are others out there who have such a similar thinking process to me, especially in regards to the writing and editing processes. It's very nice to know that in the fall semester we will both be working on changing our writing styles in order to be more productive and effective. By knowing this I feel like I have more support with the process as a whole. Hopefully by doing this we will both me able to be more efficient writers while also creating better writing pieces to show how capable we are at the writing process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment