Sunday, November 8, 2015

Considering Visual Elements

Considering Visual Elements 
In a public argument the argument itself is not the only focus but so are the visual elements that go with it. Below is my consideration of visual elements that could be used in my public argument. 
Lumu (talk). "Arnold Boecklin Font" 2/9/11via Wikimedia Commons.  Public Domain.
  • Are the different fonts I use complementary, or is the combination distracting? 
    • Due to the fact that I will be creating my public argument in the form of a podcast there will not be that much text. That being said, the only text I think I will have is the title and then possibly a caption on a picture if I include one. I think it would be effective if I made these both the same font and then just the title in a much more pronounced size. 
  • Are the fonts appropriate to the visual-rhetorical tone of my project? 
    • The only visual fonts used in my argument will be for the title and photo caption so I think that they need to be effective in conveying the visual-rhetorical tone of my project. With that in mind I am going to look for a font which will not be too informal but not be too generic in order to be more visually appealing to the audience. 
  • Is the theme or association that the image produces relevant to the theme of the argument? 
    • I think it would be effective it I found a photo which directly relates to my topic of genetic engineering to put right below my embedment of the audio of my podcast. I think this would give the audience a visual depiction of the topic as well as an auditory depiction which could work hand in hand to help the audience relate more. 
  • If the image is a graph or chart, does it clearly support a major point of my argument, or is it superfluous? 
    • This question brought to my attention the idea of using a chart or graph. I think that if I could find a chart or graph that shows how genetic engineering can be effective in helping people based on the past scientific testing and research done then it can support the claim of my argument that genetic engineering leads to extreme scientific innovation. 
  • Do the different visual and textual elements come together persuasively as a whole, or are there elements that seem disconnected or out of place? 
    • I think that if I find the just the correct image then it can work well with the audio evidence which I will have. The image will have to be searched for though because most genetic engineering images are in favor of showing that it is unethical. I think that an image of genes or a graph of data could be effective in persuading the audience further. 
  • If you are writing  a multimodal argument, do the visual images help you move from point to point in the argument clearly? 
    • I think that because I am using a multimodal argument the listeners in general will more easily be able to understand genetic engineering in general. My image will not specifically be used to help move the argument from point to point but it will rather be used to encompass the argument as a whole.
  • If you are calling your audience to take action are the consequences of not taking action and the benefits of taking action clearly expressed? 
    • This is an interesting tactic that was brought to my attention. Due to the fact that I am only using one image I think it will be hard to prove the consequences of not taking an action and the benefits of taking that action. Although I do want my audience to take action to favor genetic engineering I think that I am trying to convey that more through the auditory part of the argument rather than through the visual part. 

No comments:

Post a Comment