Saturday, November 7, 2015

Analyzing My Genre

Analyzing My Genre 

In order to effectively write in the genre which a writer chooses it is first necessary for him or her to completely understand that genre. Below there are a number of examples of my genre and the analyzation of the genre in general. 

Breitenbach, Patrick. "My Podcast Set I" 8/8/08 via flickr. Creative Commons Attribution.
  • 5 Genre Examples: 
    • Example 1
      • This is an example that shows the sort of interview type of sense which I want to have clear in my podcast. 
    • Example 2
      • Even though this example doesn't pertain to my subject this is an example of about the length which I want my podcast to be. 
    • Example 3
    • Example 4
      • This is an example of a podcast that has the approximate length which I am aiming for and it is potentially a great place to post my podcast. 
    • Example 5
  • My Genre Details:
    • Social Context
      • The genre is usually set in a website which produces different lengths in podcasts. Originally I thought thought that NPR would be an appropriate contextual location for my podcast to be posted but after looking around on the site I realized the majority of those podcasts are upwards of 45 minutes long while mine will only be around two or three minutes long. That being said there are a number of other scientific websites would be appropriate to post a podcast on. 
      • This genre can encompass pretty much any subject as I have found many different topics discussed in these types of podcasts. 
      • A multitude of writers use this sort of genre but generally those who are effective speakers and well versed in the subject. Additionally, those who use this genre are speakers/ writers who think their topic would be conveyed effectively. 
      • This genre is used to more easily convey a point in a different way than just writing an article. Sometimes hearing about an issue by a real voice rather than just reading a long article makes a person connect with the topic more easily and allows them to understand more. This provides the readers with and writers both with a more convenient and direct way of understanding and conveying the information. 
    • Rhetorical Patterns of the Genre
      • Depending on whether questions are being asked or not determines what content is included and excluded in the podcast. If it is an interview attention could be brought to the opposing views of the talker but if not he or she could easily just talk about the positives of the subject. 
      • I think that this genre mostly focuses on pathos and logos. These rhetorical appeals effectively reach to the audience emotions to help them better understand while also explaining logically through logical facts. 
      • For these podcasts there is almost always an introduction to the person talking and the subject which he or she is talking about. They also usually end in a similar way with the person talking coming to some sort of conclusion.
      • The way in which the writer speaks usually varies in sentence structure and explanation throughout the podcast. Most of these sentences are simple enough for the general reader to understand and stated in the active voice. 
      • Depending on the subject the word choice varies but in general the majority of the word choice is understandable by the general public with some words that may be more easily understood by more educated people. The overall effect is somewhat informal academic because the main jargon is academic but in a sort of conversation between two people. 
    • What above Patters reveal about the social context of the genre
      • The genre mainly includes those that would be interested in listening to podcasts about those specific subjects. That being said, it excludes people who are no interested in looking into finding podcasts. 
      • The genre encourages a more thorough connection between the talker, author, and the reader, listener. That being said this specific podcast genre encourages the reader to engage in active listening which will most likely provide a better basis for them to understand the concepts with. 
      • This genre mainly encourages an open mind to all sides of an argument and to listen effectively and openly to the thoughts discussed about. That being said, it is expected that the users have somewhat of an understanding of the topic discussed and are eager to learn more and hear more points of view of the subject. 
      • It is not completely specific in what content the genre treats as most valuable. This genre comes with all different types of subjects and I found podcasts in many different types of areas. While there are some subjects that are emphasized more highly it doesn't seem as though the podcast genre picks and chooses what topics to focus on. 
Reflection: 
  I read both Gabee's "Analyzing My Genre" blog post as well as Chad's "Analyzing My Genre" blog post.  I thought Gabee's genre was very interesting because it was a good mix of opinion and factual evidence with also a good picture depiction for the reader. I liked that her genre spoke to such a large audience and it made me want to figure out a way to speak to a more broad audience in general. I decided to read Chad's blog post because we have a similar topic and a somewhat similar genre. That being said I really liked how his genre adds a bit of humor and or irony because I think it really helps to engage the reader. I also recognized how ours vary in that his speaks to mainly the general public and not really scientists or researchers while mine speaks to less of the general public and more of the scientists and researchers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment