Saturday, December 5, 2015

Reflecting More on My Writing Experiences

Reflecting More on My Writing Experiences 
Writing experiences are instrumental to helping a person determine what type of writer he or she really is. Below is my analyzation of my writing experiences throughout English 109H.
Travis. "Christmas-Tree-Wallpaper-christmas-8142630-1024-768" 12/7/12 via flickr. Creative Commons Attribution. 
  • What were the biggest challenges you faced this semester, overall. 
    • The biggest challenge which I encountered was working my way out of the classic 5 paragraph type of writing which I was accustomed to and learning how to utilize multiple different genres of writing. That being said, the QRG and public argument were such interesting ways of writing but in order to fully understand and utilize the genres I had to first get over the hill of going out of my comfort zone in the writing process. 
  • What did you learn this semester about your own time management, writing and editorial skills?
    • In the past I always thought that what I had to say with my writing as well as my editorial comments was somewhat insignificant. During this course I realized that what I have to say is important and that more often than not the comments I have on other people's work is in sync with other peer editors. I realized that what I have to say is just as important as anyone else's and it was exciting to come to the realization that I am more capable at writing in many different genres rather than only being able to convey my ideas and opinions in one way. Additionally, I realized that in order to time manage everything I have going on I can't do any of my work in my dorm room. I realized that I have to get out and about and do my work with lots of different breaks in order to produce my best work.
  • What do you know about the concept of "genre"? Explain how understanding this concept is central to being a more effective writer. 
    • Throughout projects 1, 2, and 3 I feel like my understanding of "genre", or the type of writing which one does, has increased. I have come to the realization that depending on the genre which someone is writing is will convey a different message to the reader. Understanding this concept is instrumental because knowing the genre which one is writing in will make him or her more capable of effectively conveying the intended message within the writing. 
  • What skills from this course might you use and/or develop further in the next few years of college coursework? 
    • English 109H introduced me to a number of different types of writing, especially those which were published publicly. That being said, I think as I continue on with my education I will probably learn more specifics about a few genres of writing that are used especially for my major. This could be some sort of act of public speech or it could be a formal type of writing. 
  • What was your most effective moment from this semester in 109H?
    • I think my most effective moment from this semester in English 109H was when I published my Public Argument in my blog post, "Publishing Public Argument". I felt as though throughout projects one and two I had really been trying to fully understand not only my topic but also the genre which I was writing in. I believe that the end of project 3 I really had a firm grip on every aspect of the project. It was so exciting to have really taken everyone's revision recommendations and then compile them with my own ideas to create something that I felt really worked well as an actual public argument that could have been published somewhere. 
  • What as your least effective moment from this semester in 109H?
    • My least effective moment in this semester of English 109H was when I published my project 2 final in my blog post "Project 2: Final Draft". Both projects 1 and 3 felt pretty good to me but for some reason I feel as though I had not accomplished much in project 2. That being said, I don't think that my publication of project 2 was the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment